2011/09/22

Daily tip #19| Abs

Let me ask you something.. Do you hate sit ups? I hate sit ups. And there is a very solid reason for it..


Before that, how many times have you seen the commercial where ripped models are using the product X and 'working out on it'? Many, I bet. Maybe you've bought one of those things too, and now it's just collecting dust. Never fall for those commercials, NONE of the things there work. Some of the commercials claim the product will get you abs only with 7 minutes of exercise per day!


... Now that is just outrageous. You can't get abs with a cheap plastic toy which bends and does nothing else, you get abs with 101% dedication, 90% work 120% rest and 200% nutrition. That's how you get abs, and that is how you get ripped, don't spend your money thinking 'maybe this one will work'. It will not, it never will. You can go to the gym, destroy yourself in there for two hours a day, three days a week and you're not going to achieve ANYTHING if you come home and eat pizza.


If you are buying these products, and believe me, A LOT of people are falling for these, you probably don't know how to work out your abs. The only exercise you might think of to get abs is sit ups, right? Well..



Sit ups.. They don't work. Sit ups are useless, and they can mess up your back. Do NOT do them. Ever. They're a complete waste of time. Your abs are not going to get the workout they need, it might seem like it's helping in the beginning, but you could've actually gone way further if you were doing something else, and you're probably going to start having problems with your back soon.

There is something, far greater than sit ups..


 And that something is crunches. Crunches are just plain wonderful. You lay down flat on your back, legs bent, hands behind your head lightly supporting your neck, looking up to the ceiling, you move your face towards the ceiling together with your shoulders. Do not begin doing a sit up, this is not a sit up, this is a crunch, concentrate on contracting your abs and as far as possible, as soon as you're at the most you can move your shoulders forward, HOLD. Hold that position for atleast two seconds, then slowly lower your shoulders down. Repeat. So what if you can do 20 sit ups, try 20 of properly done these, you'll see the HUGE difference. So, you work your way up to 20 of properly done these, now, take a big book, or a brick, or just something heavy you can fit, and hold it under your head while doing the crunches. This'll be like exercising with crunches all over again.


Form is KEY in this exercise. Do not concentrate on how many you do, concentrate on your abs, and the perfect form. If you don't, you'll end up working out your neck, or your hips. If you want to do that though, feel free, but it's not going to make your abs stronger.  Remember to move your shoulders straight up, no arms flailing around, no moving your head around. Try to lessen the tension in your neck, you have to learn to support it right, try different ways, just do not hurt yourself.



Why you would want to do this? This will strenghten your abs, and strong abs stabilize your lower back and protect you. They also look great!



Do not forget, nutrition is key to achieving abs. You can have rock hard abs, but nobody will be able to see them! Make sure to not make common mistakes, and sleep right!


Cheating a day is better than quitting.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rather get the abs of that girl. :P

Anonymous said...

Really boring hehehe, hope we´ll better tomorrow hun!
And i see now that i must work on my abs toooo :)

Movies on my Mind said...

I tried to get a six-pack, then I got real. I never needed them. I look good as is.

Hasidic Plumber said...

Ok, now this is good advice. I never knew that sit ups were useless. Oh well, i guess you learn something new every day :)

Lot's Wife said...

Phew. I never liked doing sit-ups, because there was a good chance that my back would be sore the next day. It was like flipping a coin. I think the only thing my stomach has going for it right now is my diet, so if I could just motivate myself to start running again and doing crunches...

DWei said...

You could also try that v-sit exercise but that really kills you.

Bob said...

Interesting.
I'll try it next time I exercise.
Thanks for the tip. :)

dora said...

maybe someday ill have a 6 pack...

Ruth said...

Wow that's a complicated percentage system you've got going there :D Great article BTW, right as usual!

Jazz bazooka said...

yeah... abs... once i worked on them and only them, now they are like steel

Jay said...

yay, now i can get rock hard abs in seven minutes! ;)

Enigmatic Vapor said...

Thanks for the advice!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what a crunch was until you told me. Says a lot huh.

Mochileiro said...

I'll try to hold on to 7 minutes

Igneel21 said...

that girl is WAY to distracting, i think i read something about abs of some sort...

Damon said...

great post :D
+follow

Neon said...

I'm currently doing the sixpackshortcuts program on youtube. Has served me well so far
Additional info never hurts though

aamedor said...

> ...something, far more greater than sit ups

Never use a more and the er/est form of a word its one or the other. In this case it should be:

...something, far greater than sit ups

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi but this really bothered me while reading, probably cause the sentence is living between paragraphs in no-mans land and draws attention to itself. Other than that point good post. I know I abhor sit-ups for the pain in the back reason.

odis9000 said...

only confirms that sit-ups are useless in my book.

Max Power said...

hey man i just started jogging and my knees really hurt. Any way to lessen the impact on my knees?

neatfit said...

@Max Power, okay, I hope it's not tendonitis. If the world 'really' is true, then you have to stop running immideatly, and see a physical therapist. If the world 'really' doesn't exist, you should do cardio on a bike, elliptical or swimming. It might just be a case of 'too much too soon' you should try walking with short intervals of jogging and see how it works. Without a diagnose I can't know though.


@aamedor It's okay, correct my grammar whenever you want. English is not my first language, so I don't mind :).

poups said...

i do 60 abs Twice a day
one day/two

ed pilolla said...

thanks for the tip. i did sit ups this morning, after crunches. i don't do many of either. still, good to know:)

Max Power said...

ok thanks. No I don't mean really, just sore i guess. Muscles are not sore but knees are.

Lord Phrozen said...

Crunching looks easier than sit-ups, not to mention they work better. I'll start exercising this coming week end.

DEZMOND said...

I already have extreme abs, since I do about 100 ab exercises every day. My problem is that I have too much belly fat and skin leftover from the teen age when I was about 200 pounds :( It makes my ab work futile :( And I can't do much cardio exercises since I have a certain heart problem.

Post a Comment

Jonas Tirunas. Powered by Blogger.

Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Sports

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India